Post sponsored by California Avocado. See below for more details.
Until I moved to California, summer months focused on two ingredients: sweet corn and tomatoes. When I moved to California, I learned that July is peak season for California avocados. I had no idea because in Illinois, avocados are not a local crop! Creamy, fresh avocados are the perfect summer treat and a great way to make a meal without heating up your house.
This avocado soup is the ultimate summer meal. It’s fresh, cooling, and requires very little effort. The most time-intensive part is peeling and de-seeding the cucumbers! Plus, this soup is easily adaptable for whatever herbs and spices you might have on hand. I like to make this soup for get-togethers because it keeps well and doesn’t require heat!
Chilled Cucumber and California Avocado Soup
A lovely raw summer avocado soup with yogurt and coriander- perfect for those hot summer days!
- 2 medium cucumber (2 lbs)
- 2 ripe avocado (1 pound)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander, toasted and ground
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- Lemon zest for one large lemon
- 1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups water, as needed to thin
- 1/2 large ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Peel the cucumber and slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds from the inside of each half. Roughly chop the cucumber and place in a blender.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop out the avocado and place in the blender with the cucumber. Add the garlic, ground coriander, yogurt, lemon juice, zest, and salt. Puree until the soup is smooth, adding water as needed to reach a soup consistency. Place in a bowl and refrigerate until cool.
- Dice the avocado and toss with lemon juice and chili flakes (if using). Divide the soup into two bowls and top with diced avocado and hemp seeds.
by Erin Alderson
Tips & Tricks: This soup works best with ripe avocado- they puree the best. Also, if you do not have a high-speed blender, dice the cucumber small before blending.
Stock up: get the pantry ingredients you will need: Yogurt, Avocado, Cucumber
Nutrition: see the information.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 656 Calories from fat|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 47||72%|
|Dietary Fiber 25.7||103%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
I love using avocado in chilled soup. It provides a creamy base and a hint of that good avocado flavor. Plus, it pairs well with so many different flavor combinations. This avocado soup is the perfect base to play with all the different summer flavors!
Vegan: Replace the yogurt with a nut or seed based cream. I found almond cream or sunflower cream work well in place of the yogurt- neither are too overpowering.
Herbs: I left out the herbs because I love you can taste the cucumber and avocado. However, a hefty sprinkle of parsley, cilantro, or dill would be a lovely companion.
Spices: I love the flavor of coriander but you could also use a sprinkle of cumin in place of or in addition to the coriander.
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with California Avocado. All thoughts and opinions are my own. It’s content like this that helps me keep this site running to provide the vegetarian recipes you see every week.